Friday, August 10, 2012

You Can't Fool God

His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant. -John 13:22 (NIV)

Not too long ago, I was sitting at a restaurant having lunch by myself. At the table next to me were two women. The door to the restaurant opened and another lady walked in to pick up a take-out order. She saw the two women sitting next to me and approached their table. The woman sitting closest to me quickly got up, hugged the woman picking up her order and said, "Oh, it's so great to see you! I have missed you so much!" The three women spent a few minutes visiting before the third woman received her order and left the restaurant.

No sooner had this woman exited the restaurant than the one who greeted her so warmly sat back down and said to her dining partner, "I can't stand that woman!" And then they resumed the conversation they were having.

In the suggested scripture readings for today, Jesus is at the table with his disciples. It will be the last meal they share together before his crucifixion. Jesus, troubled in spirit, announces that one of the twelve will betray him. We are told that it is not clear which disciple Jesus is talking about... one of them even asks, "Lord, who is it?"

Why is it important that no one seems to know which disciple will betray Jesus? Well, it suggests that up to this point Judas has not done anything to give the other disciples reason to suspect that he is a betrayer. In their presence, Judas apparently acts like everything is okay, like he loves Jesus wholeheartedly and is faithfully committed to him. It's like the women sitting next to me in the restaurant. Based on the conversation I overheard, I assumed that they really loved the woman who came in for carryout...until I heard the comment after that woman left.

The women sitting next to me were successful in fooling the woman who came in for carryout. It appears as if Judas is able to fool the other disciples. But Judas did not fool Jesus. Jesus knows what Judas is really thinking. Jesus knows what is really in Judas' heart...which makes it all the more amazing that Jesus still washes Judas' feet and shares this last supper with him. Talk about grace!

This morning, I'm prompted to examine my own heart. In what ways am I masking what I really think? In what way is there a disconnect between the image I convey and the reality of my heart? I may be able to fool you but I am not fooling God.

May God grant us grace to realize that we cannot fool God today.



If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Jeremiah 10-12 and John 14. Sunday's readings are Jeremiah 13-15 and John 15. I'll be back on Monday with a devotional based on Jeremiah 16-17, Psalm 96, and/or John 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment