Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What Do You Want To Be?

You say, "I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing." But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. -Revelation 3:17-18 (NIV)

When I was growing up, the two most often-asked questions of me were probably "Did you hit your brother?" and "What do you want to be when you grow up?" The answer to the first question was almost always, "Yes, but he hit me first." The answer to the second question differed throughout the years but always had a motivating force behind each answer: I wanted to be rich. My job aspirations were based more on potential earnings than potential effectiveness. One of the reasons why I initially resisted ordained ministry is because it would mean that I wouldn't make as much money as I would in some other field. Because I equated happiness with wealth, choosing a profession with less earthly-earning potential was frightening (everyone kept telling me that my rewards would be in heaven, which didn't necessarily mean a lot as a young adult).

Apparently the Church in Laodicea had a similar idea. They were rich but in so many ways they were poor. They assumed that, because they were wealthy, they had need of nothing else. Jesus says that for the people of Laodicea to be truly rich, they need spiritual treasures (gold) that come from him.

Scholars say that Laodicea also prided itself on its clothing trade. Their clothes were famous all over the world as premiere luxury items. Yet Jesus says that they are shamefully naked. Judging from what I've seen at swimming pools and beaches throughout the years, there are a lot of people in the world who have no shame in wearing little or no clothing. But in scripture, largely because of the Garden of Eden story, nakedness is often associated with shame. Jesus says that what the people of Laodicea need to overcome their spiritual and shameful nakedness is a white robe from him. This white robe likely represents the cleansing power of Jesus, the purity of life that is only available through Christ or maybe even the victory over sin and death that is found only in Jesus.

Finally, Laodicea was known for its eye salve. Their eye salve may be good stuff but Jesus insists that they are blind to their own poverty and nakedness. What they need, Jesus says, is the salve that he provides. Then they would see that it is being rich in faith that is of more importance than being rich materially.

I don't think any of us would turn down a raise or wouldn't like to be wealthier. But today's scripture reminds me of what we should really want to be when we grow up: rich with spiritual treasures, adorned with the grace and cleansing power of Jesus, and with eyes for God's truth.

May God grant you the grace to be wealthy in those things today.


If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Ezekiel 8-11 and Revelation 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment