Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Take Time

Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.) Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?" -John 18:10 (NIV)

When Judas and a detachment of soldiers come after Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemene, Simon Peter senses that something is wrong and is determined that something must be done. Peter responds by likely doing the first thing that comes to mind: attack! But Jesus tells Peter to put his sword away and Peter quickly realizes that his response is not of God.

I'm often impulsive and reactive, just like Simon Peter. Sometimes I sense a problem and impulsively try to solve it with the first idea that comes to mind. I don't stop to pray about it or to carefully discern God's will for that particular situation. A far better approach is faithfully praying that God would guide my thoughts and my responses when impulses might get the best of me. In situations where immediate responses are not necessary, taking additional time to pray and discern is a great idea.

May God grant you the grace to take time to discern will of God today.



If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Jeremiah 23, 25 and John 19.

No comments:

Post a Comment