Thursday, August 16, 2012

Proper Perspective

When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining. This garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom. "Let's not tear it," they said to one another. "Let's decide by lot who will get it." -John 19:23-24 (NIV)

What do you want from Jesus? The Roman soldiers in our scripture reading this morning want his clothes. The sinless son of God is hanging on a cross and they're interested in garments? Really?

So what do you want from Jesus? When you pray, what do you ask for? I try not to make my prayers a laundry list of things that I want or expect from God. I try not to pray for petty or selfish things that I don't really need. Christ poured out his life on the cross at Calvary and I don't want to be like the Roman soldiers standing beneath Jesus clamoring over something that may be trivial (to some, clothes would not be trivial, but I'm guessing it was in the case of the Roman soldiers). When I pray, I like to imagine myself at the foot of the cross because it gives me perspective. It helps me to focus on what's really important. It especially helps me to focus on the things Christ gives that moths can't destroy.

When you pray today, may God grant you the grace to picture yourself beneath the cross of Jesus. It puts the subject of your prayers and the desires of your heart in proper perspective.



If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Jeremiah 26, 35, 36, and John 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment