Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Praying for Your Witness

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me." -John 17:20-21 (NIV)

In the suggested scripture reading today, Jesus prays not only for the disciples but for all people who will come to faith in Christ because of their witness.

When people ask me to pray for them, it's usually because of some illness or situation. And when I'm asked to pray for these specific things, I honor the requests. But it occurs to me this morning that, when I pray for others, I seldom pray for their witness and how their witness impacts others.

Today I feel compelled to pray for the witness of the church I serve and for the witness of the people reading this devotional. I pray that you and I would live our lives in such a way that our witness might lead others to faith in Christ.

May God grant you the grace to be a witness for Christ today.


If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are 2 Kings 24, Jeremiah 22, Psalm 112, and John 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment