Friday, August 24, 2012

Thank God for Your Ebed-Melech

"My lord the king, these men have acted wickedly in all that they have done to Jeremiah the prophet. They have thrown him into a cistern where he will starve to death when there is no longer any bread in the city." Then the king commanded Ebed-Melech the Cushite: "Take 30 men and lift Jeremiah out of the cistern before he dies." -Jeremiah 38:9-10 (NIV)

I can honestly say that I don't ever remember reading about Ebed-Melech. No one in my hearing has ever preached a sermon about him; no one to my knowledge has ever honored his memory by naming their child after him. And yet today his name leaps off the page as I read these suggested scriptures. Here is a man who is willing to risk his position and his very life for Jeremiah. When Ebed-Melech learns that an injustice is taking place, that a prophet of God has been left to die for speaking the truth, he cares enough that he approaches the king and is allowed to rescue Jeremiah from certain death.

Today I thank God for the Ebed-Melechs in my own life, people have stood up for me and stood by when no one else would. And today, if I see injustice taking place, I want to be one that will speak up and/or stand up for what is right.



If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Jeremiah 50-51 and 3rd John. Sunday's readings are Jeremiah 52, Revelation 1, Psalm 143 and 144. I'll be back on Monday with a devotional from the suggested readings of Ezekiel 1-3 and Revelation 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment