Thursday, August 2, 2012

In the End, It's All About Healing

Then Jesus said to him, "Get up! Pick up your mat and walk." At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked. The day on which this took place was a Sabbath, and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed, "It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat." =John 5:8-10 (NIV)


This coming Saturday will the 7th Annual Fish-Fest Contemporary Christian Music Festival here in Fayetteville. Organizers expect 1,000-2,000 people to attend the event at Lincoln County High School. Gates open at 3pm and the last act should be finished no later than 10 pm.

Almost inevitably when Fish-Fest rolls around, I will hear or overhear a comment about contemporary Christian music. "It's not worship, it's entertainment." "They sing "7-11" songs, which are songs that have seven words sung eleven different times." "People sing with their hands in the air to draw attention to themselves." I suspect that you've heard these things being said and may have even said them yourself.

I confess that when I first arrived as pastor here, I had some of those same thoughts and concerns about contemporary worship. I was raised in a much more traditional worship setting and it was through those worship experiences that I found healing and hope. But then I began to witness that the Holy Spirit works in contemporary worship settings as well. I realized that most, if not all, of our contemporary worshipers don't view it as entertainment at all; it's heartfelt worship. When people raise their hands, it's in sweet surrender to Jesus, not to draw attention to themselves; in fact, some of the worshipers often feel led to raise their hands during worship but don't because they don't want to draw attention to themselves. And the songs? Yes, the songs are sometimes repetitive but they are memorable and I find myself singing them throughout the week.

I couldn't help but think of how people view different styles of worship when I read today's text. A man who had been an invalid for 38 years was sitting near the Sheep Gate pool. When Jesus saw him lying there, he asked the man if he wanted to be made well. Then he told the man to get up, take his mat, and walk. The man was at once healed and did as Jesus commanded.

There were witnesses to this miracle who could care less that the man found healing and hope. They were instead concerned because this healing and hope had happened in a way that they didn't believe should have happened: on the Sabbath. They focused on the bad (that a Sabbath law had been broken) rather than on the good (healing had taken place). I liken this to the negative view I used to have of contemporary worship despite the incredible way that God was using it bring healing and hope to others.

I assure you that the point of this devotional is not to convince you to like contemporary worship. Traditional worship is a wonderful expression of faith and offers healing and hope. I'm thankful to serve a church that has two styles and people who are blessed by each style. But the point of the devotional is to recognize that God often brings healing and hope to people in ways that you and I may not personally like or desire.

May God grant us the grace to desire healing and hope in whatever way God chooses to offer it.


Tomorrow's readings: 2 Kings 22, 2 Chronicles 34, and John 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment