Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Places and Faces

Then Jesus went back across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing in the early days. There he stayed...-John 10:40 (NIV)

One of the reasons why I love going back to Ole Miss each fall (there has to be a reason other than watching us lose football games the past two years) is to see the places and faces that helped transform me into the person that I am today. It was at Ole Miss that faith became more than something I had because my mother wanted me to have it. It was Ole Miss that I began to faithfully study God's word. It was at Ole Miss that I began to understand the importance of surrounding myself with Christian community. It was at Ole Miss that I began to see that God could even use me to be a source of light and love in the world. Some of the most meaningful spiritual experiences that I've ever had with God occurred while I was at Ole Miss (and no, I'm not talking about a football game).

Sometimes it's good to see the faces and spend time in the places where we have encountered God most vividly. I think that's what Jesus is up to in the suggested scripture readings this morning. He's made his way back to the place where John often baptized people. It is likely the same place where Jesus himself was baptized, where he heard God speak to him and assure him that he was doing what he was supposed to do and that God was well pleased with him.

Who are the faces and where are the places where you've most vividly encountered or experienced God? Any chance you could spend some time in those places with those faces again soon? I hope so.


Tomorrow's suggested readings are Jeremiah 3-4 and John 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment