Friday, May 25, 2012

Principle of the Path

My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding- indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand and find the knowledge of God. –Proverbs 2:1-5 (NIV)

I cannot read the book of Proverbs without thinking of Andy Stanley’s book, “Principle of the Path.” I read it several years ago and God really used it to deepen my faith. The basic premise of the book is this: your direction, not your intention, determines your destination. If you want to go to Florida from Tennessee, you’ll never get there by going north on the interstate. Your direction (going south) and not your intention (I want to go to Florida) determines your destination.

When I play basketball with some of the guys at the church and get winded after two trips down the court, I always say, “I’m going to get in better shape.” But then I don’t go the fitness center. I don’t jog around the neighborhood. I park in the closest parking space I can find when I’m out shopping. I have the best of intentions, but unless it informs my direction, I’ll never get to the destination of better health.

I’m guessing that I’m not the only one who has the best of intentions but hasn’t changed their direction. Want to lose weight but can’t pass up the Chinese buffet? Want to spend more time with your family but find reasons to work late instead? Want a deeper relationship with Christ but then don’t make time for worship, prayer, or Bible study? Your direction, not your intentions, will determine your destination.

Today’s proverb promises that if you seek God like you’d seek silver or a hidden treasure, you’ll come to understand and find the knowledge of God. It’s not enough just to want a relationship with God; you have to move toward God.

May God grant you the grace to look at the direction of your life today; it will tell you where you’re headed. And if you need to change direction, may God grant you the grace to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment