Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Offering Grace and Generosity

About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around...

-Matthew 20:6 (NIV)


As a child, I was taught that the vineyard owner in this story is God and that we are the workers...that the point of this parable is that people often believe that they are more deserving of God's grace and generosity than others. According to this interpretation, God wants the workers to see that no one deserves God's grace and generosity.


And yet this morning as I read the assigned readings for today, I find myself identifying not so much with the workers but with the land owner. As he did, I feel led to go out to those who haven't been with the land owner nearly as long and invite them to come and experience God's grace and generosity for themselves. I want a heart for those who haven't been in the vineyard all day.


May God grant you the grace to offer grace and generosity to others today.



If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's readings are 2 Samuel 8-9, 1 Chronicles 18-19, and Matthew 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment