Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Confession Is Good for the Soul

Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess" my transgressions to the Lord." And you forgave the guilt of my sin. -Psalm 32: 5 (NIV)

I'm feeling guilty this morning. I slept in! There, I admitted it. The reason you're not receiving this morning devotional earlier is because lazy bones here just couldn't get out of bed at 5am to read, reflect, and write before getting his son ready for school. So today's devotional is better described as "Good Mid-Morning God." Hey, it happens.

Okay, I feel better. They say confession is good for the soul. The writer of Psalm 32 seems to agree. He (the writer is presumed to be David) notes that when he remains silent about his sin, it's as if God's heavy hand is against him and as if his strength is sapped. But when he acknowledges his sin to God and doesn't try to hide it or act as if it doesn't exist, he experiences forgiveness and is blessed.

Is there anything that you need to confess today? Something that you need to get off of your chest? Let me encourage you to take the psalmist's advice and pray. Tell it to God. Ask God to surround you with deliverance. Seek God's instruction as to the way that you should go. Ask that the Lord's unfailing love would surround you as you trust in Him.

May God grant you the grace today to confess, to pray, to be teachable, and to be blessed.

If you're interested in reading through the Bible, tomorrow's readings are 2 Samuel 17, Psalm 71, and Matthew 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment