Friday, June 1, 2012

For the Good of Others

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up. -Romans 15:1-2 (NIV)



Spiritual formation is important to me. I love to begin each day reading God's word and seeking application for my own life. I take seriously the importance of prayer and I look forward to fellowship and worship with other believers. Spiritual formation is important.


But if I'm being honest with myself, much of why spiritual formation is important to me is because of the personal benefit it is to me. It gives me hope. It gives me peace. It gives me strength. Me. Me. Me.


In today's suggested scripture readings, Paul reminds that it's not just about me. The strength that I gain from praying, reading scripture, and worshiping should just as importantly be used to build up others. Christ came in power and strength not to please himself, but to serve.


May your faith be strengthened today and may God grant you the grace to use that strength to build up and serve others for their good.





If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, here are this weekend's readings: Proverbs 28-31, and Romans 16. I'll be back on Monday. Enjoy your weekend.


1 comment:

  1. A good word from a good man for a good day. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete