Friday, June 8, 2012

Why Not Now?

Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap. -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)

When I was just starting out as a pastor fifteen years ago, one of the older members of the congregation I was serving asked me where I would go on my dream vacation. As I recall, Hawaii was at the top of the list and maybe a few other places. She asked when I was going to go on this dream vacation and I said, "Probably when I retire." After all, I wouldn't have to miss time at church, find someone to fill in for me, and I could probably stay for a longer period of time and more likely afford the trip. She looked at me disapprovingly and said, "Don't wait for the perfect time to go on your dream vacation because it may never come. You may not live to retire or feel like going once you retire. Go on your dream vacation now!"

I find myself tempted to do that a lot: to wait for a better time. I'll start exercising at the beginning of the month. I'll begin to eat healthier after I order this Baconator Deluxe from Wendy's. I'll read my Bible after I finishing reading "The Hunger Games." There's always in my mind a better time to do something.

In our suggested scripture reading today, we are told that whoever is watching the wind and worried about whether it's going to rain won't plant or reap the harvest. To be sure, you don't want to be in the middle of reaping your harvest when it starts to rain but you don't want to be immobilized either while always waiting for a more perfect time.

What have you been putting off, waiting for a more perfect time to do? A trip to the dentist? Writing your will? Getting new tires? Beginning a daily discipline of Bible study? Spending more time with your family? Let me ask you another question: Why not now?

May God grant you the grace to stop putting off until tomorrow what you know you should really be doing today.




If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, here are this weekend's suggested readings: Song of Solomon 1-4 and Ephesians 6 on Saturday and Song of Solomon 5-8 and Philippians 1 on Sunday. I plan to be back on Monday with a devotional on 1 Kings 12, 2 Chronicles 10-11, and/or Philippians 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment