Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Headline of Your Day

Speak truthfully...do not let the sun go down on your anger...anyone who is stealing must steal no longer, but work doing something useful so that you'll have something to share with those in need...don't let unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful in building up others..and do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God. Get rid of bitterness, rage, anger, brawling and slander... -Ephesians 4:25-31 (NIV)

My wife and son are out of town this week so I find myself living on the edge. For instance, last night I stayed up and watched the 10 o'clock news. I know. You're jealous, right?

Except for Demetria Kalodimos (one of my all-time favorite news anchors), I can't say that my late-nighter was worth it. Here's what I learned: a man was shot outside a Kroger, a meth lab was busted in a hotel room, a gas station was robbed, a wife was stabbed, and a girl was raped. The world is a full of lies, anger, laziness, profanity, abuse, and sadness.

Is there no good news in the word today? Should I email Demetria Kalodimos and (after telling her how awesome I think she is) tell her that I miss the good ole' days when people were more humble, gentle, meek, long-suffering, and loving? Aren't those people worth talking about?

The thing is: I'm not sure that things have ever been a lot better. If they were, why would Paul write what he writes in today's suggested scripture readings? And Paul's not just writing this letter to anyone; he's writing it to God's holy people in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ. It's the Christian in the pews and not the criminal on the news that he's addressing in his letter. He's talking to me and to you.

What if we started there as well? There's obviously a lot of work to be done in the world to make it the place that God desires, but what if we began this transformation with me and you? What about Paul's statements wouldn't make the world better? Me better? You better?

Be truthful. Don't let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth unless it builds up others. In your anger, do not sin and don't let the sun go down on your anger. Don't steal. Get an honest job. Share what you have with the needy. Don't grieve the Holy Spirit of God (I translate this as "Don't make God sad"). Get rid of bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, slander, and malice. Be kind. Compassionate. Forgiving. Follow Christ's example. Walk in the way of love.

Maybe you don't have a problem telling the truth, but does it build people up? Maybe you don't get angry, but isn't some anger justified (just don't let it fester)? Maybe you don't steal and maybe you have an honest job, but are there things that you do that make God sad? Paul says that these things must be banished from the Christian life. This will make the church better. This will make the world better.

May God grant you the grace to make Paul's words your headline today. Maybe Demetria Kalodimos would lead off tonight's newscast with a story about you.



If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Ecclesiastes 10-12, Psalm 94, and Ephesians 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment