Monday, June 18, 2012

Believe, Receive, Change

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.
-1 Timothy 1:15-16 (NIV)

Yesterday, after officiating a wedding in Murfreesboro, I decided to drive back through Bell Buckle, TN. It was my first trip to the metropolis and I decided to stop and have a late lunch at the Bell Buckle Cafe. I was by myself (my family is in Atlanta) so I planned to just surf the internet on my phone while enjoying a bite to eat. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a signal on my fancy smart phone in Bell Buckle, so I just ate in silence.

I wasn't trying to eavesdrop on the conversation next to me but I couldn't help it. One woman was telling another woman that a former friend (who had apparently hurt her feelings badly) had recently apologized in the hopes of restoring the relationship. Her dining partner listened intently and then offered the following advice, "Don't believe it! He'll never change!"

That may be true. The one who hurt this woman may in fact never change. But then again, he could change and maybe he did change.

Paul would know something about that kind of change. He considered himself to the worst of sinners. Before his conversion experience, Paul was a persecutor of Christians and played a role in at least one death of a Christian (Stephen) and no doubt many more. But after his encounter with Christ, Paul went from being intent on destroying the Christian church to intent on building the Christian church. No doubt many questioned whether someone like Paul could make such a radical change and Paul is quick to say that such a change was only possible because of Christ's great patience and mercy.

Maybe you've been hurt like the woman I overheard at the cafe yesterday. Maybe you're the one who has hurt someone else. Maybe someone you know needs to change but you doubt it's possible. Maybe you're the one who needs to make a few changes. The good news is that, regardless of who you are or what you've done, change is possible. Christ Jesus desires to change you, to show you patience and mercy, if only you will believe and receive.

May God grant you the grace to believe, receive, and experience whatever change is needed in your life today.



PS: As many of you noticed, last week I did not send out daily devotionals. I was at Tennessee Annual Conference and simply did not have (make) the time to write and post devotionals. I'm back in the saddle, as they say, and excited about continuing this journey of scripture reading and reflection with you.



If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are 2 Kings 4-5, Psalm 83, and 1 Timothy 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment