Monday, April 16, 2012

It is Written

After fasting forty days and forty nights, Jesus was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread." Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" -Matthew 4:2-4 (NIV)

Jesus has just been baptized. Heaven has opened up and the Holy Spirit has descended upon Jesus like a dove. A voice from heaven has said, "This is my Son, whom I love, with whom I am well pleased." Then Jesus is led out to the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. He doesn't eat for 40 days and nights, no doubt weakening him physically but also mentally. It is at this point of weakness that the devil comes. And it is during this time of weakness that Jesus' knowledge of scripture helps keep him from giving in to the devil's temptations.

High holy moments are often followed by times of wandering in the wilderness. Thid just seems to be a rhythm of life. I'm involved in this daily discipline of reading scripture and journaling not just because I want more high holy moments but also because I want to be prepared for my days in the wilderness. I want scripture to be so much a part of my life that when the tempter comes, I can say, "It is written..."

May God grant you the grace to be faithful in reading and remembering God's word.


Tomorrow's readings: 1 Samuel 20-21, Psalm 34, and Matthew 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment