Monday, April 23, 2012

Assurance

When John heard in prison what Christ was doing, he sent his disciples to ask him, "Are you the one who was to come? Or should we expect someone else?"       -Matt 11:2-3 (NIV)

 Back in chapter 3, we read that John's mission is to prepare the way of the Lord. John has his own idea about who the Lord is, how the Lord will act, and what the Lord will do. He expects the Lord to be powerful- cutting down trees that don't produce fruit- separating the wheat from the chaff. But then Jesus starts healing the sick. He says that the poor in spirit are blessed. He says that peacemakers are sons and daughters of God. He says that we should turn the other cheek when someone strikes us. John begins to wonder if this Jesus, acting so differently than he anticipated, is indeed the one to come.

 I have my own understandings and expectations of who Jesus is...and I believe- like John- that these expectations are grounded in scripture. But then I find myself questioning, "Is this what I'm supposed to believe about you or is it something else?" Like John, I find myself often seeking assurance that Jesus is who I think he is.

 May God grant you the assurance that you need and seek today.


If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's readings are 1 Samuel 30-31, 1 Chronicles 10, and Matthew 12.


No comments:

Post a Comment