Wednesday, December 12, 2012

While You Wait


So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation for those waiting for him. -Hebrews 9:28-29 (NIV)

Yesterday afternoon I had an appointment with an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor. When I flew to Disney two weeks ago, my ears stopped up on the plane. When they did not unstop, I decided that I needed to go have it checked out.

I don't know if you've ever been to an ear, nose, and throat doctor before but guess what? They spend a lot of time looking in your ear, nose, and throat. So I always try to get to the doctor's office early. While I wait, I go to the restroom to brush and floss my teeth/tongue and then for extra precaution gargle a little mouthwash. I don't want my breath kicking like a Bruce Lee movie when the ENT asks me to open wide. I also Q-tip my nose and ear to make sure that those passageways are as clear as possible. Finally, I make sure my hair is combed and that there's no evidence of lunch on my mouth or the front of my shirt. All of these things I do as I wait to see the ENT. He's never said so, but I'm sure he appreciates it!

Now if I were going to see a podiatrist about my foot, I wouldn't worry too much about getting to the office early enough to floss. But you better believe that I'd bring some baby wipes and a fresh pair of clean socks with me. I'd go to the bathroom, give my feet a quick once-over and then put on those fresh pair of socks while I waited to see the podiatrist. I'd cut my toe nails and maybe even shine my shoes as I wait for the podiatrist to examine me.

In our scripture lesson this morning, we are told that Christ is coming again. In fact, I've suggested in these daily devotionals that Christ is always coming to us. So that begs the question: are we doing anything special in anticipation or preparation for his coming? As we wait and prepare for Christ's coming at Christmas, what are we doing to be as prepared as possible to see Him?

May God grant you the grace to be prepared for the many ways that Christ comes during this season.




You can sign up to receive these daily devotionals by email each morning by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email into the yellowish box.

If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Hebrews 12-13 and Jude 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment