Friday, December 21, 2012

Seek God's Glory


Nevertheless many, even of the authorities, believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they did not confess it, for fear that they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved human glory more than the glory that comes from God. -John 12:42-43 (NRSV)

Even after Jesus has done all kinds of miraculous signs in their presence, most of the people still do not believe. And yet, at the same time, there are many (even among the leaders) who do believe but will not confess their faith openly for fear of what might happen to them; they love the praise of humans more than the praise of God.

I suspect that all of us struggle with loving human glory more than the glory of God. I know that in my ministry through the years, this has been a constant temptation. I have made decisions knowing that they would please people more than God. There are things that I should have said but did not; there are things that God would not have had me say that I said.

When I love human glory more than the glory of God, I let the opinions of others determine my value and my worth. My highest goal becomes pleasing others rather than pleasing God. Today, my highest goal is to please God. My main objective is to seek God's glory even when it's not the easiest or most popular choice.

May God grant you the grace seek God's glory more than humanity's glory today.




You can sign up to receive these daily devotionals by email each morning by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email into the yellowish box.

If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are John 15-18. On Sunday, I encourage you to go to a church of your choice. If you don't have one and live in the Fayetteville area, please join us at First United Methodist Church of Fayetteville (8:30 and 11). Sunday's suggested readings are John 19-21. I'll be back on Monday with a devotional from 1 John 1-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment