Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Motivation, Not Resignation


When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?” -John 5:6

While in Jerusalem for one of the three required feasts, Jesus passed known for its healing power; many disabled people had gathered there. One man had been an invalid for 38 years. Jesus asked him if he wanted to be healed.

I find it interesting that the man does not directly answer Jesus’ question. Instead of answering yes, the man offers an excuse: “Sir, I have no one to help me get into the pool when the water is stirred; someone else always gets there ahead of me.”

I can’t help but wonder if this man had resigned himself to the fact that he would never be healed. After all, it had been 38 years and it would have been easy to become discouraged. And yet, if he had become resigned to his condition, why did he still go to the pool every day?

Many people come to church for the same reason that this man went to the pool. They recognize a need for healing and restoration in their lives. Perhaps they thought if they would not sleep in on Sunday, if they’d get up, get dressed, and come to church, healing would magically happen. Then, when just coming to the pool (or the pew) does not instantly provide the healing they desire, many resign themselves to a life of brokenness and despair. They offer excuses like, “God obviously does not care about me” or “Not one single person has ever bothered to help.”

After Jesus heals the man, he commands the man to take the initiative in his life (“Stop sinning or something even worse than a disability may happen”).

Just showing up at church, just reading my Bible, or just praying about something may not be immediately result in healing taking place. I may need to take more initiative. God may be calling to me to be more actively a part of the answer to my prayer. I also need to make sure that faith, and not resignation, is the motivating force in my life. I don’t want to just sit by the pool (or in the pew) and simply wait on God to do God’s thing. If God desires that I do something or change something, I want to do it. With God’s help today, I will not sit around making excuses but will instead look for how God might be calling me to be a part of the solution.

May God grant you the grace to know if God wants you to be more active in bringing about healing in your life or in the lives of others.



You can sign up to receive these daily devotionals by email each morning by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email into the yellowish box.

If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are John 7-8.


No comments:

Post a Comment