Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Faith Without Works

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, "Go in peace, keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. -James 2:14-17 (NIV)

Though I thoroughly enjoyed being back at Ole Miss this past weekend, one of the things I really hate that I missed was our community's Mobile Food Pantry. Needy families were provided with thousands of pounds of food, school supplies, and haircuts, all at no charge. There were also activities for the children designed to value them and add a little fun to their lives.

I'm guessing that most of the people reading these daily devotionals are people of faith. You're at the church every time the door is open. You read your Bibles. You pray regularly. I sincerely hope so.

I also hope that you embrace the words of James in our suggested scripture readings today: that faith without works is dead. I hope you realize that you're not saved by works but that you're saved for works. I hope you realize that, every time you see a need and don't respond, means that you'll likely be even less inclined to help the next time you see that need.

I know you care about faith or you wouldn't be reading. My prayer is that you also value expressing your faith through works... especially with those who are poor in the eyes of the world so that they might become rich in faith and inherit the kingdom of God (v5). What are you doing for people like that as a sincere expression of your faith? It's a question worth considering.

May God grant you the grace to express your faith through good deeds today.


If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's readings are 2 Kings 17, 2 Chronicles 28, Psalm 46, and James 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment