Monday, July 30, 2012

Don't Whine

His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you." -John 2:5 (NIV)

Jesus is at a wedding in Cana of Galilee with his disciples and his mother. While there, the wine runs out. Mary, the mother of Jesus, points this out to him, apparently expecting Jesus to do something about it. Jesus' response seems a little harsh, as if to say, "Woman, it's not my problem." Mary then says to the servants, "Do whatever Jesus tells you."

Usually when I read this gospel story, I am drawn to the fact that Jesus takes six jars that each hold thirty gallons, fills them with water, and then turns the water into wine. That's 180 gallons of wine for a wedding party and this is after the previously purchased wine had already been consumed. It's a miracle conveying how Christ gives in abundance, providing more than we could ever need.

But today I am drawn to Mary, the mother of Jesus. When the wine runs out, she goes to Jesus and tells him about it. When Jesus says, "woman, my hour has not come," Mary doesn't whine about the wine. She doesn't say, "I'm your mother and you'll turn water into wine if I want you to turn water into wine." Instead, she instructs the servants, "Do whatever Jesus tells you."

Mary seems to have faith in her son. She trusts him. He may not always do what she would like for him to do. He may not always say what she would like for him to say. His ways won't always be like her ways. She may not understand his reasoning, but she has confidence in him to do what's right.

When I take my problems to Jesus, I usually have my own opinions about what Jesus should do. I often whine when Jesus doesn't turn my water into wine, when Jesus doesn't respond in the way that I think Jesus should respond. I want the faith of Mary, who trusts Jesus enough to say, "Whatever He says and does will be fine with me."

May God grant you the grace to not whine about your wine today but to trust Jesus with your problems and the way He is at work in and through them.



Tomorrow's suggested readings are Isaiah 65-66, Psalm 62, and John 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment