Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Christmas in July

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. -Isaiah 9:6 (NIV)

It's beginning to look a like Christmas. Okay, so even Walmart hasn't started putting out their Christmas trees yet (although it probably won't be long). And it's 100 degrees outside with absolutely no chance of snow. And you probably haven't purchased my Christmas present yet (but if you want to get an early start, I can produce my wish list with just a few moments notice).

How then is it like Christmas? Is the heat finally getting to Tommy? Perhaps. But check out today's suggested reading from Isaiah and you'll know why. You'll find verses that are read in church every December and featured on countless Christmas cards that you receive in the mail.

It's one of my favorite verses in scripture because of the promise that it makes of One who would come bringing righteousness and justice forever. Christians understand this One to be Jesus.

He is a Wonderful Counselor. His guidance is wonderful. His teaching is wonderful. His healing is wonderful. His forgiveness is wonderful. His love is wonderful. His wisdom is wonderful. He is wonderful.

He is a Mighty God. Jesus said that he and God are one; when you've seen Jesus, you've seen God. He is awesome. In Him is great power. In Him is great strength. He is mighty to save.

He is Everlasting Father. My dad died in 1999 and in many ways, I still grieve his death. Jesus is the Everlasting Father. This means that I'll never lose my Father again. He will always be present to love me, guide me, watch over me, and encourage me. He is everlasting.

He is the Prince of Peace. He has extraordinary power and authority but desires to use this power and authority to bring about peace. He wants us to be whole and well. He wants what is good and perfect for His people. He wants us to experience peace.

May God grant you the grace to experience Jesus as a Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace today.



If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Isaiah 11-14 and Hebrews 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment