Monday, March 12, 2012

Why You Do What You Do

So you are no longer a slave, but God's child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir. -Galatians 4:7 (NIV)

Any trouble that I was able to avoid as a teenager was largely because of two reasons: legalism and my mother. I grew up being afraid of God. God was some distant deity who stayed ticked off all the time because humanity is such a sorry lot. As best I could tell, God sat on a throne in Heaven just waiting for people to step out of line. I still remember a dramatic presentation entitled "Heaven's Gates, Hell's Flames." In it, people unexpectedly died. As I recall, those who had obeyed God's commands got into heaven; those who didn't went straight to hell (and didn't pass "Go" or collect $200). I remember being scared. Earning God's favor through legalism became a way of life. I served God out of fear about what would happen if I didn't. I served God out of obligation because I thought it was a requirement for salvation.

I also tried to stay out of trouble because I didn't want to break my mother's heart. I have a most loving mother who has sacrificed much in her life for the sake of her children. I've always wanted to please her and make her proud of me. I'd rather do hard time in prison than to disappoint her. Growing up, whenever I was tempted to do something that I shouldn't do, if I stopped to think about my mother's love for me or her desires for my life, I usually wouldn't do it. (I just wish that I had stopped to think about these things more often that I did)

Two approaches to obedience: one because of fear and one because of love. Which one do you think is better?

In Galatians 4, Paul frames this question in a similar way. He contrasts between being a slave to God and an heir of God. It's the difference between obedience because you have to (legalism) and obedience because you want to (love).

Why do you follow God? Is it because you're afraid of what happens if you don't? Or is it because of the sacrifice God has made for you, because of God's great love for you, and because you want to respond to that love by offering your best?

May God grant you the grace to consider why you do what you do today. May you experience the freedom that comes from obedience, not because you have to, but because you want to!


If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Deuteronomy 25-27 and Galatians 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment