Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Patients and Patience

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
-Galatians 5:22-23 (NRSV)


Yesterday, I had my regularly scheduled CT scan on my neck. The scan was scheduled for 8:30 in the morning. I then had to wait until 1:30 to see my doctor and learn the results (I got a good report). As I sat there in the waiting room, patients were easy to see; patience was not.

Dictionary.com defines patience as "being able to bear provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like." Those who know me may think that the only patience I've ever possessed for any length of time was a Guns N' Roses song from 1989. But I do try to embody the spirit of patience in my daily life.

Cancer tries and tests both patients and patience. When the doctor is running behind or test results haven't been reported, it's easy to get irritated. It's tempting to lose your temper or to complain when you're so sick and tired of being sick and tired. Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels that way; while waiting on my test results yesterday, I observed several other cancer patients with little or no patience.

As I read about the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5 this morning, I am mindful that God exercises more patience with me than I exercise with others. God is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. God hasn't given up on me yet, the Holy Spirit is still at work in my life (even if I'm not aware of it), and through the Spirit's power I am a patient who can become more patient. I believe that! I hope you do too.

May God grant you the grace to bear the fruits of the Spirit today, but especially the fruit of patience.



If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Deuteronomy 28-29 and Galatians 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment