Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Be a Guide, Not a Gossip

Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load. -Galatians 6:3-5 (NIV)


It happens everywhere I guess, but it's especially noticeable in a small town like the one where I was raised. People talking about the transgressions of other people.

"Did you hear that Biff* is being audited by the IRS for failure to pay taxes?"

"Someone told me that Zena* is cheating on her husband."

"Conrad* has a drinking problem."

Sin seldom stays secret in a small town and because everybody knows everybody, it's often a subject of conversation.

"Don't tell anybody I told you this, but..."

Have you ever been guilty of gossiping about someone else's sin? Have you ever said something like, "How can they call themselves a Christian and do something like that?" Have you ever been tempted to compare your sin to someone else's sin and say, "Thank God that I'm not like that!"

I have. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I have. And even though I know that I shouldn't do such things, I'm nevertheless tempted to do it. I'm guessing you are too.

Galatians 6 offers some helpful instruction. Paul states that if someone is caught in sin, those who live in the Spirit should gently try to help that person. Not gossip. Not ignore. Not judge. Unfortunately, the human tendency is often to pass judgment. It seems easier to find fault than to gently guide.

Paul is quick to point out that, in helping someone turn away from sin and back to God, there should be two cautions. The first is that those who are trying to help should be careful not to fall into the same temptation as the one they're helping. But there's another temptation that is often more subtle: the temptation to compare one's sin to another's sin and to feel morally superior to that person. If one is going to compare oneself, it should't be to other human beings, but to the example of Jesus Christ.

Paul goes on to say that sin has consequences but assures that God will forgive. Restoration is possible. It's important that those in the Spirit be agents of restoration to all people, but especially to fellow believers (6:10).

May God grant you the grace to not judge, not ignore, and not gossip about the sin of others. If comparisons are made, let them not be between you and another human being, but between you and the example of Christ. And may you allow yourself to be used by God as an agent of restoration today.



* I used these random names because I don't know anyone by these names. Any connection to real people struggling with the sins mentioned is purely coincidental and unintentional.

If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Deuteronomy 30-31, Psalm 40, and I Corinthians 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment