Thursday, February 14, 2013

Write It Down


Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you... -Luke 1:1-3 (NIV)

At yesterday's Noon Ash Wednesday service, when I placed the sign of the cross on worshipers' foreheads using the ashes from last year's palm branches, I handed out a laminated card. On the card was written basic information about why we observe Ash Wednesday as well a prayer of confession and an assurance of pardon. I encouraged those in attendance that, if they were asked why they had a big smudge on their foreheads as they went about the rest of their day, to share the laminated card as a way of explaining this meaningful act of confession and repentance.

Later that afternoon, two people stopped by my office to tell me that they had gone to the store following worship. A young woman approached them about the sign of the cross on their foreheads. Being good listeners, they handed the woman the laminated card and informed her that there was another Ash Wednesday service to be held later that evening at our church. The woman, new to our community, promised to be there... and she came, bringing her children with her to our third Ash Wednesday service of the day.

I'm so glad that I decided to print those cards with information about why we celebrate Ash Wednesday along with a prayer of confession and an assurance of pardon. It's important information. If you're like me, I write down important information because it's something that I don't want to forget. It's something that I want to be able to refer back to over and over again. It's something that I might want to share with others.

In this morning's scripture, Luke realizes the importance of writing down an orderly account of the teachings of Jesus. He claims that this account comes from the testimonies of eyewitnesses and servants. It's important information that he doesn't want people to forget. It's information that he wants people to be able to refer back to over and over again. It's information that he wants to share with others.

During the season of Lent, when we journey with Christ to the cross, many believers "take on" something in the same way that Jesus "took on" the cross for the salvation of the world. Let me suggest one thing that you and I might "take on" this Lent: writing "it" down. By that, I mean keeping a journal for the next 40 days. Write down the ways in which you see God at work or write down the things for which you're thankful. It doesn't have to be long. It doesn't have to be deep. But it is important. What a gift it would be to share with your children or your spouse! What a gift it would be to your family if you could all participate in "writing it down" together. I'm convinced that this discipline would not only draw you closer to God but to all those who read or hear your account of God's faithfulness. It may never win a
Pulitzer Prize but it may help draw someone closer to Christ...just like the laminated card of important information that two people passed out yesterday at the grocery store.

May God grant you the grace to "write it down" this Lent- an account of the things that have been fulfilled among you.



Tomorrow's Reading: Luke 2

If you're new to the Good Morning God devotionals, I try to write and share them each Monday-Friday. Please feel free to forward the devotionals to family, friends, and co-workers. I notice an increase in the number of new subscribers when readers like you share them on Facebook or re-tweet them on Twitter. It's my prayer that these devotionals might help countless people say, "Good Morning God.


No comments:

Post a Comment