Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Give What You Have


"How many loaves do you have?" Jesus asked. -Mark 8:5 (NIV)

Through the years, I've heard financial planners say that people should purchase with cash rather than credit. I understand their rationale: many people purchase things on credit that they really cannot afford. But I'm on the other side of the fence. I think more before purchasing something when I use a credit card than I do with cash. If I have cash, I'll buy a candy bar here and a pack of gum there. Before you know it, I'm all out of cash. That's what happened last week.

I was making an unplanned purchase because I thought I had cash in my wallet. When it came time to pay, I realized that I didn't have enough cash to pay for my purchase. When I attempted to pay with a credit card, I was told that they were temporarily unable to take credit cards. I guess I had the "What Am I Going to Do Now" look on my face when I was asked, "How much cash do you have?" I told her, embarrassed at how little it was. "Well, just give me what you have and I'll take care of the rest," she said. I guess it pays to be a frequent customer.

In today's suggested scripture reading, another large crowd has gathered around Jesus. Perhaps people have heard about how Jesus healed the deaf and mute man from chapter 7. Jesus is worried about sending these people on the long journey home without something to eat. The disciples, on the other hand, are worried about where they're going to come up with enough food to feed four thousand people. McDonald's may serve billions, but not at all at one time...and besides there weren't any Golden Arches in Jesus' day.

Jesus responds by asking the disciples, "How many loaves do you have?" Implied in his question seems to be this thought: "Just give me what you have and I'll take care of the rest."

Don't you think that Jesus asks that same question and implies that same statement today? "What do you have that I can use to provide sustenance for the long journey of life, Tommy?" "What do you possess that I might use to satisfy others, Tommy?" "Would you be willing to give me what you have and let me take care of the rest?"

May God grant you the grace to offer what you have to God and let God take care of the rest.




Tomorrow's Reading: Mark 9

If you're new to the Good Morning God devotionals, I try to write and share them each Monday-Friday. Please feel free to forward the devotionals to family, friends, and co-workers. I notice an increase in the number of new subscribers when readers like you share them on Facebook or re-tweet them on Twitter. It's my prayer that these devotionals might help countless people say, "Good Morning God."


No comments:

Post a Comment