Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Women of Faith


Some women were watching from a distance. Among them was Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome. In Galilee, these women had followed him and cared for his needs. Many other women who had come up with him to Jerusalem were also there. -Mark 15:40-41 (NIV) 

In today's suggested scripture reading, Jesus is dying on the cross. Peter, the rock on which Christ plans to build his church, has denied even knowing Jesus. Judas, the Chief Financial Officer of the disciples, has betrayed Jesus. The other disciples have all deserted Jesus and fled.

But Mark says that there were some women there watching from a distance. These women do not abandon Jesus. These women cannot abandon him. These women have followed Jesus throughout his ministry (if not his whole life) and care deeply for him.

As I read these words this morning, I find myself thinking about my own life and faith, recalling all of the women of the Way who have had such a huge impact on my life. The person who introduced me to faith so many years ago and helped create in me a hunger for God was my mother. The most influential Sunday School teachers in my life were women. When I think about the people who have cared for me, encouraged me, followed me, and been there for me in difficult times, it seems as if a majority of these people have also been women. When I consider the most gifted pastors and preachers, educators and administrators, it's not surprising to me that there are lots of faithful women at the top of that list.

Certainly, there have been many men who have been these things to me throughout the years. But today, I feel prompted to thank God for the women of the faith that have blessed my life.

May God grant you the grace to spend today recalling with a grateful heart the women who have followed Christ, modeled faith, and expressed love and care for you.



Tomorrow's Reading: Mark 16

If you're new to the Good Morning God devotionals, I try to write and share them each Monday-Friday. Please feel free to forward the devotionals to family, friends, and co-workers. I notice an increase in the number of new subscribers when readers like you share them on Facebook or re-tweet them on Twitter. It's my prayer that these devotionals might help countless people say, "Good Morning God."


No comments:

Post a Comment