Friday, January 11, 2013

Need Some Assurance?


When John heard in prison what Christ was doing, he sent his disciples to ask him, "Are you the one who was to come? Or should we expect someone else?" -Matthew 11:2-3 (NIV)

 Back in chapter 3, we read that John's mission is to prepare the way of the Lord. John has his own idea about who the Lord is, how the Lord will act, and what the Lord will do. He expects the Lord to be powerful- cutting down trees that don't produce fruit- separating the wheat from the chaff. But then Jesus starts healing the sick. He says that the poor in spirit are blessed. He says that peacemakers are sons and daughters of God. He says that we should turn the other cheek when someone strikes us. John begins to wonder if this Jesus, acting so differently than he anticipated, is indeed the one to come.

 I have my own understandings and expectations of who Jesus is...and I believe- like John- that these expectations are grounded in scripture. But like John, I have moments where I have my doubts: "Is this what I'm supposed to believe about Jesus or is it something else?" Like John, I find myself seeking assurance that Jesus is who I think he is. Thankfully, Jesus offers assurance to John and through the years he has offered assurances to me.

 Do you have doubts this morning? So does Philip Yancey, one of my favorite Christian authors. Here's what he has to say about doubt:

"Doubt is something almost every person experiences at some point, yet something that the church does not always handle well.  I’m an advocate of doubt, because that’s why I became a Christian in the first place.  I started doubting some the crazy things my church taught me when I was growing up!  (This was a most unhealthy church, I must say.)
I’m also impressed that the Bible includes so many examples of doubt.  Evidently God has more tolerance of doubt than most churches.  I want to encourage those who doubt, and also encourage the church to be a place that rewards rather than punishes honesty.”

May God grant you a safe place to openly share your doubts and the great grace to find the assurance you seek today.



You can sign up to receive these daily devotionals by email each morning by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email into the yellowish box. Your email address will be safe with me. At any time, you can opt out of receiving the emails.

Tomorrow's suggested readings: Matthew 12. Sunday's suggested reading is Matthew 13. I'll be back on Monday with a devotional thought from Matthew 14.

If you're new to this site, I try to write daily devotionals each Monday-Friday




No comments:

Post a Comment