Monday, January 7, 2013

Is There a Plank in Your Eye?


"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of our own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." -Matthew 7:3,5 (NIV)

I don't know about you but I don't want to be a hypocrite...although it happens more times than I care to admit. But I don't want to say one thing and do another. I want consistency and authenticity in my life and in my faith. It's tough and it's hard work.  It's even tougher when you and I are not engaged in the discipline of regular self-examination.

Why not join me in that discipline of self-examination as the new year begins? Why not focus on the planks in our own eyes in 2013 rather than the specks in the eyes of others?

John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist movement which eventually became the United Methodist Church had what he called a "Test for Self-Evaluation." Perhaps you will find it helpful should you decide to join me in a new discipline for a new year. Ask yourself these questions:

"Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I'm a better person than I really am? Do I laugh at the mistakes of others, reveling in their errors and misfortunes? Do I insist on having my own way? Is there a tendency for me to put down others so that I'll be thought of more highly? Do I pass on to others what is told to me in confidence? Am I thoughtful in expressing "thanks" to people for what they've done for me, no matter how insignificant it seems? Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits? Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying? Did the Bible live in me yesterday? Did I disobey God in anything yesterday? Did I insist on doing something about which my conscience was uneasy? Did I handle discouragement well or did I have to be coddled? Am I enjoying prayer? When did I last speak to someone about Christ? Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, or hold resentment toward? If so, what am I doing about it? Is Christ real to me?"

May God grant you the grace to focus on the planks in your own eye instead of the specks in the eyes of others.



You can sign up to receive these daily devotionals by email each morning by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email into the yellowish box. Your email address will be safe with me. At any time, you can opt out of receiving the emails.

Tomorrow's suggested readings:
 Matthew 8

If you're new to this site, I try to write daily devotionals each Monday-Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment