Friday, November 9, 2012

Songs in the Night


People cry out under a load of oppression; they plead for relief from the arm of the powerful. But no one says, "Where is God my maker, who gives songs in the night..." -Job 35:9-10  (NIV) 

Elihu is still trying to help Job realize why he is in the shape that he's in! Though he is not right in this particular case, there is some truth to his statement in the above cited scripture. So many times we experience trouble in life but try to handle it ourselves. We don't look to God who desires to give us songs in the midst of our darkness.

I know that troubles are going to come. I know that I am going to find myself in situations like Job, situations where it seems as if I just can't catch a break. I may even try to eliminate the cause of my oppression and pain myself. Although that may be possible and appropriate, I want to remember to call upon God and I want to believe with all of my heart that God can give songs in the middle of the darkness.

May God grant you the grace to hear songs in your night.




You can sign up to receive these daily devotionals by email each morning by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email into the yellowish box.

If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's readings are Psalm 122 and 1 Corinthians 9-11. Sunday's readings are Job 37-38 and 1 Corinthians 12. I'll be back on Monday with a devotional from Job 39-40 and/or 1 Corinthians 13-14.

No comments:

Post a Comment