Friday, November 16, 2012

Growth in Giving


But since you excel in everything- in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in the love we have kindled in you- see that you also excel in the grace of giving. -2 Corinthians 8:7 (NIV)

Oftentimes, people will tell me that they want to grow in their prayer life. So we'll talk about the many different ways of praying (and there are many).

 I've had lots of people tell me that they want to grow in their knowledge of scripture. I point them to different resources or small group opportunities where such knowledge is available and where growth regularly takes place.

I've also had people tell me that they're struggling with a particular issue-fear, grief, anger, unforgiveness- and they want to grow beyond those issues. So I arrange counseling with someone especially trained to help people deal with those issues and find healing and hope.

And yet in my almost sixteen years of ministry, I can count on one hand the number of people who have come to me and said that they want to grow more in their giving. No one has ever tossed their checkbook on my desk and said, "Help me find a way to give more to God."

Maybe if I were as bold as Paul, I'd more often challenge people not just to excel in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in earnestness, and in love, but to also excel in the grace of giving. God wants us to grow in all aspects of our lives and our level of giving is one of them. What we give says a lot about what we believe and what we value.

What does your level of giving say about you? May God grant you the grace to excel in the grace of giving.



You can sign up to receive these daily devotionals by email each morning by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email into the yellowish box.

If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's readings are 2 Corinthians 11-13 and Psalm 124. Sunday's readings are Matthew 1-4. I'll be back on Monday with a devotional on Matthew 5-7. 

No comments:

Post a Comment