Tuesday, November 13, 2012

By the Grace of God


For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. -1 Corinthians 15:9 (NIV)

It doesn't happen as often as it used to happen but whenever I run into someone from my childhood that doesn't know what I grew up to become, they're often surprised that I'm a pastor. It's not that I was a bad kid; I wasn't. But I certainly didn't walk around with the Bible in one hand while making the sign of the cross with the other. I resisted the call of ministry for a long time because I wasn't sure that I was good enough. I'm more convinced now that I wasn't good enough then. And though this won't come as a shock to any of you, I'm still not good enough today. I have gifts and graces but I am nonetheless unworthy of the calling that I have received.

Christ has seen fit to use me despite my shortcomings and failures. And though it's still hard for me at times to believe that I'm a pastor, it shouldn't come as any surprise that God would use unlikely people for His glory.

Just look at Paul. He was a persecutor of Christians who was intent on stopping Christianity before it really started. And yet Christ saw fit to use him, to call him, and equip him to be a faithful disciple of The Way. He too felt unworthy. He too was unworthy.

When people share with me that they don't understand how God could love them or how God could use them, I nod understandably. I've been there; I've experienced those same thoughts. But I've also experienced the grace of God. I've seen firsthand how God can forgive and redeem, equip and empower.

May God grant you the grace to experience that kind of grace today.



You can sign up to receive these daily devotionals by email each morning by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email into the yellowish box.

If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's readings are Job 41-42 and 2 Corinthians 1-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment