Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Just Listen

Peter and his companions were very sleepy, but when they became fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. As the men were leaving Jesus, Peter said to him, "Master, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters-one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah." (He did not know what he was saying.) While he was speaking, a cloud appeared and covered them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud. A voice came from the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him."  -Luke 9:28-31 (NIV)

When Peter and company become fully awake (which is something I'm not sure I can say about myself this morning), they see Jesus in all his glory.He's standing there with two giants of the faith: Moses and Elijah. Jesus has been in conversation with Moses and Elijah but they are leaving; now the silence is deafening. Perhaps Peter feels like he needs to get involved in the conversation and just say something...so he does. He notes to Jesus that it's good for them to be there on that mountain in communion with those people. He suggests that they stay a while, that they erect three shelters: one for Jesus, one for Moses, and one for Elijah. But then a voice from heaven (God) essentially says to Peter, "Don't say anything. Just listen. Listen to my Son, with whom I am well pleased."

I don't know about you but so much of my prayer life is often about me doing all or most of the talking and God doing all or most of the listening. Today I want to be more intentional about actively and attentively listening to God.

As you go about your day, may God grant you the grace to listen well.


Tomorrow's readings are Haggai 1-2, Psalm 129, and Luke 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment