Monday, September 17, 2012

Doubting the Possible

Zechariah asked the angel, "How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years." -Luke 1:18 (NIV)

In today's suggested scripture readings, Gabriel appears to Zechariah and tells him that his barren wife Elizabeth will have a son who will prepare the way of the Lord. Zechariah, a very faithful man of God, has his doubts.

There are at least two important teachings here. The first is that God can make the impossible possible. In this case, Elizabeth and Zechariah are barren and well past child-bearing age and yet God assures them through a messenger that they indeed will be parents. Perhaps an even more important teaching is that God can answer prayers even in the midst of our doubts. We're told that Zechariah didn't believe Gabriel's words. Instead of responding to Zechariah's unbelief by refusing to act, God silences him with God's power to act in the midst of doubt.

Today, I'm thankful for the reminder that God can do anything. I'm thankful too for the evidence that God will do things even when I have my doubts.

May God grant you the grace to experience God's power today.


Tomorrow's readings: Ezekiel 47-48 and Luke 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment