Tuesday, September 11, 2012

God Can Even If God Won't

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you on this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us...but even if he does not, we will not serve your gods. -Daniel 3:16-17 (NIV)

When the lump appeared on my neck that would eventually be diagnosed as cancer, I would wake every morning with this prayer: "Lord, I believe that I could place my hand on the spot where that lump has been detected and it could be gone this morning...all because of you being an amazing God." Then I'd touch the spot and realize that the lump was still there. I never gave up believing that God could make that lump go away even though I had no sense of certainty that God would.

In our scripture lesson this morning, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego had faith that God could save them from the fiery furnace even though they didn't know if God would save them. With no assurance that God would save them, these three men still refused to bow down and serve Nebuchadnezzar's gods.

It strikes me that, had these three men known with certainty that God would save them from the fiery furnace, this story wouldn't have the same power that it does now. Such certainty would have been based on fact and not faith. It's easier to believe when facts are present than when faith is present. I want faith, the kind of the faith that these three men had! They didn't know if their God would save them, but they definitely knew that their God could save them! So they trusted Him regardless of what the outcome might be.

I suspect that you and I are a lot alike. We face obstacles every day of one kind or another. We're tempted to bow down and serve other gods on a regular basis. I want the kind of faith that believes that our God is able even when our God doesn't. I want the kind of faith that trusts God with whatever the outcome might be. I want the peace that comes from knowing that our God can be trusted with our living and with our dying.

If you feel as if there is a fire raging out of control in your life, may God grant you the grace to believe that God can deliver you... even if God doesn't. May you be willing to stand firm in this faith and trust God with whatever happens today.



If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Ezekiel 33-35 and Revelation 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment