Wednesday, October 31, 2012

My Help Comes from the Lord


He will not let your foot slip- he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. -Psalm 121:3-4 (NIV)

To the best of my recollection, the first time that I ever kissed a girl was on Halloween night. I remember being so nervous. Should I turn my head to the left or the right? A quick kiss or a lingering one? It was all so very stressful. I remember wishing that I had a book about kissing that could teach me how to do it. Where was Google back then? Around that time, the preacher at our church preached from Psalm 121 and he told us that our help comes from the Lord. Somehow I didn't think that God was going to help me to learn how to kiss.

I remember the first time that my heart was broken over love. Though I had been unsuccessful in finding a self-help book on "How to Kiss," I did find one on how to heal a broken heart. I read it in one sitting, crying through the whole thing. Although there was some helpful advice in the book, advice that I still remember and use today, it really didn't do much to heal my hurting heart.

As I have gotten older, I've noticed that the Self-Help section of the bookstore has gotten larger. I can almost guarantee that you'd find a how-to book on kissing today. It seems as if everyone is looking for help everywhere. And yet I think that preacher was right so many years ago: help really does come from the Lord.

I don't know that I'd expect a kissing lesson from God, but I do believe that God watches over me and God longs to help me. I also know that there are times when I wonder if God has forgotten about me, if God has drifted off to sleep while my heart is hurting. This morning, I read a quote by Martin Luther, who said: "When you feel this way, remain steadfast in faith and await God's help and protection. Even though it appears that God is sleeping or snoring, this is certainly not so, despite the way you might feel and think. God is surely awake and watching over you. Eventually you will learn that...if only you can hold fast."

I'm more confident than ever that my help and my hope comes from the Lord. I look to the hills, knowing that God's protection and guidance is needed and is coming.

May God grant you the grace to find help and hope in the Lord today.




You can sign up to receive these daily devotionals by email each morning by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email into the yellowish box.

If you're interested in reading through the Bible in a year, tomorrow's suggested readings are Job 23-24 and Mark 11-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment