Thursday, October 18, 2012

Discerning God's Vision


While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. -Acts 10:45 (NIV) 

 In the suggested scripture reading for today, Peter falls into a trance, sees heaven open and something like a large sheet coming down to earth. This sheet contains all kind of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice tells him to "kill and eat."

Peter is immediately faced with a dilemma. The vision appears to be from heaven but the message of the vision is contrary to the Jewish law which states that certain foods are not to be eaten. What's a person like Peter supposed to do?

Peter begins by having conversation with God about the vision, seeking greater clarity from God. The vision's message is so different than he expects that he wants to be sure that he understands. Even after his conversation with God, Peter continues to ponder the dream and its meaning (10:17 and 10:19). Not surprisingly, the Holy Spirit provides more direction as to what Peter is to do and God provides confirmation to Peter that what he is doing is what God would have him to do. The final confirmation that Peter receives is when the Holy Spirit falls upon the Gentiles with whom Peter is speaking (something that would have been contrary to Peter's understanding of scripture prior the vision he experienced).

God's word for me today is to first of all consider what I believe and why I believe it. Then, to ask myself: is there some prompting in my life, some vision or dream that appears to be from God that is seeking to stretch my understanding or my belief? If so, I should pray about it, converse with God, not just once but often. I should set aside time to ponder and wonder about this prompting, testing to see whether it is of God and why I am sensing this prompting at this time in this way. Finally, I should trust that if this prompting is of God that God will provide confirmation. Sometimes confirmation doesn't come until I have acted on the prompting, but I trust that the confirmation will come if what I'm doing is of God.

May God grant you the grace to see, ponder, understand, and find confirmation in God's vision for your life today.




You can sign up to receive these daily devotionals by email each morning by scrolling to the bottom of this page and entering your email into the yellowish box.

Tomorrow's readings are Job 6-8 and Acts 12. 

No comments:

Post a Comment