Tuesday, January 24, 2012

You Never Know What Will Happen at Lunch

Life Journal Readings for today: Exodus 7-11, Luke 24

When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. They asked each other, "were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?" -Luke 24:30-32 (NIV)

Yesterday, I stood in the pulpit of my home church before a group of people who have meant a great deal to my life and faith. I was there to celebrate the life of a dear friend’s grandmother; she died three months short of her 104th birthday.

Before and after the service, I had a chance to see people that I haven’t seen in years. We talked about everything: from how I’m doing after cancer to some of our fondest memories of growing up in Pulaski. I recognized most of the people who approached me, but there were some that I couldn’t readily identify. There were yet others that I saw and recognized but to whom I didn’t get to speak. I hate that. You never know when or if you’ll get another chance to see childhood friends again.

After the service, family and friends gathered for a meal in the church fellowship hall. While breaking bread together, there were more stories. More laughs. And it was a holy moment for me. I was reminded of just how blessed I’ve been to know these people. I was reminded that I was sitting in the church that first convinced me of God’s love for me and theirs. I was reminded that many of the times I’ve felt closest to God took place in that church with those people. It was holy. Absolutely holy.

And then it was over. Some were going to the cemetery. Others were catching planes back to faraway places like Colorado. Some returned to work. Others had to pick up kids from school. I drove back to Fayetteville, grateful for another heartwarming encounter with God and some of God’s blessings. And I drove back knowing that I wanted to share this with you today…as a way of saying, “It’s true. The Lord lives. The Lord blesses us with reminders of his presence and of the gifts of life.”

Today's reading is of Jesus’ appearance to the two believers traveling back to Emmaus after Jesus’ death and resurrection. They were talking about everything that had happened when Jesus suddenly began to walk alongside him. Even though they’d spent time with him, they didn't immediately recognize him. They invited this stranger to join them for a meal and during the breaking of bread, they recognized Christ in their midst. It was a holy time. Their eyes were opened. Their hearts warmed. And then it was over. But they left that encounter and went and shared with others that Christ lives. Christ blesses. Christ is with His people.

Is there someone that means a lot to you that you haven’t spent time with lately? Why not call them up to go to lunch? Talk. Laugh. Love. And look for Christ to be present in your midst. Allow your heart to be warmed. And then tell someone about it.

1 comment: