Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Good Way to Begin the Day

Please read Exodus 37-38, Psalm 19, and Acts 11 if you're interested in reading the Bible through in a year.

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." -Psalm 19:14 (KJV)


There are lots of people studying the New Testament book of James in our church right now. Hardly a day goes by that I don't hear someone speak to some truth or application that they've gleaned from this scripture. One person recently shared that James' instruction to "be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry" (James 1:19) as her biggest growing edge.

I was reminded of that statement as I read this morning's psalm. In Psalm 19:14, the psalmist writes, "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."

A lot of preachers make this their prayer before they preach on Sunday mornings. I can certainly understand. When I'm standing before the people of God proclaiming the Good News of God, I'm more than a little concerned that the words I speak are acceptable to God and it's largely because of another verse in the book of James (3:1): "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly."

But I wonder how my life would be different if I made Psalm 19:14 my prayer, not just before preaching, but before everything? I wonder the same about you. How would your life be different if you began each day saying, "Lord, may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing or acceptable to you today"? Do you think it would change the way you react to the person who cuts you off in traffic? Or to the person who straddles two parking spaces at Walmart? Or when it takes too long to get your food at lunch?

May God grant you the grace today to commit the words of your mouth and meditations of your heart to being acceptable to Him...and may this decision not only make God's day more pleasant, but yours as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment