Monday, July 4, 2011

God Speaks in Many and Various Ways

Long ago, God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last days, he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds. -Hebrews 1:1-2 (NRSV)


God speaks to me in many and various ways. He speaks to me through my son, Nicolas, and the way he frowns when I don't do something he wants me to do. But it's not Nicolas' nature to frown for long and his smile quickly returns in part because his love for me outweighs his disappointment.

God speaks to me through my friend, Mike. Mike is one of the most generous people I know, always offering more than deserved or expected. I will never forget the time that Mike drove around with a dent in his car (one that I created) because he was afraid that my insurance premiums would increase if the accident was reported.

Yes, God has spoken to me in many and various ways through the years, but never quite like God speaks to me through the person of Jesus. Jesus knew what it was like to be disappointed by others, but his love always outweighed his disappointment. Jesus always offers more than I deserve or expect. As the letter to the Hebrews states, Jesus is the reflection of God's glory and the exact imprint of God's very being. In Jesus, I have the greatest glimpse of God possible on this side of eternity.

I am thankful for all the ways that God speaks to me. I pray for the grace that, through my life, God would speak to others.

How (or through whom) has God spoken to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment